Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tetris can stop you from having flashbacks of a traumatic event


Tetris is a fantastic way to waste time, but it cures more than boredom: according to a recent study, playing Tetris after a traumatic experience can act like a “cognitive antibiotic” that reduces the chances of being haunted by the memories of the event.

The study was conducted by Emily Holmes, a clinical psychology researcher at the University of Oxford who has been studdying post traumatic stress disorder. She says that flashbacks are one of the biggest problems of post traumatic stress disorder, and that soldiers who have PTSD are the most likely to die from accident or illness than those who don’t.

Tetris, though, can change all that. Holmes has shown that volunteers who play a game of Tetris for half an hour after they have looked at horrifying and graphic images of injuries have fewer “flashbacks” as a result.

In a controlled experiment, Holmes compared Tetris’ ability to stave off flashbacks to that of a pub quiz: Tetris came out on top. Even four hours after a traumatic experience, a game of Tetris can have healing effects.

According to Holmes the Tetris effect occurs because the visuospatial work required to play the game places an additional burden interfere with this memory-forming process, thus preventing traumatic experiences from solidifying into flashbacks.

“It’s not wiping out the memory – it’s just taking the edge off its intrusiveness,” she says.

Speaking from personal experience, it also takes the edge off of boredom. Is there anything Tetris can’t do?

65 comments:

Astra said...

<3 tetris

Pro said...

wow , I guess it makes sense
I was always more of a fan of Tetris Attack

DJ Name Brands said...

i wonder what it is about tetris that does this

textileengineer said...

Personally, I think Ecstasy is better.

MoneyNaoPlz said...

I find weed is the best way to take my mind off of anything and onto anything else.

Paul said...

well thats good to hear.

SpringyB said...

Wow. That's kinda mind blowing. I used to play tetris a lot, I wonder if I have any suppressed memories lol

Rezden said...

Wow, that is amazing. So I now have a reason to bring my DS everywhere. :)

Coupons_Ftw said...

haha that picture looks like the periodic table

Witdarkstar said...

Huh. I think the Russians were onto something when they invented Tetris haha

aZZo said...

Great post man

CrispyPeanutButter said...

Looks like Nintendo cornered the market on this one huh

Galwarrior said...

Nice Post

Plastic Currency said...

very good info!

Just Call Saul said...

can't wait until the next update

DIY Fixes said...

that's very interesting

RoodNverse said...

after i play tetris ,and close my eyes or goto sleep i see those blocks and shit falling , every gdi time >.>

MDW said...

That's really interesting--wonder if this could be applicable to soldiers who are recently deployed.

Digger said...

that's intense! i never thought a game would be able to that

Gansita said...

So this game has its Pros and Cons. I'd add that has more Cons, once you start playing it, you can't stop playing 'til get a high score. I imagine if school were like playing "Tetris" ... would be insane. Good info =)

ImmaFrog said...

disturbing info

KTOTHES said...

Yay tetris, fun and therapeutic!

Ken said...

Love tetris! Being therapeutic seems weird to me though o.O

Randy said...

i like it!

Robert K. said...

this brings back memories!

Personal Injury Database said...

great design btw

hippilazma said...

i heard this from a friend , it is really interesting

S said...

cognitive antibiotic, tetris is greater than i thought

SC2 Strats said...

wow that's awesome! i love tetris!

FORISBAN said...

I like tetris :D

kokojesta said...

games in general man, they transport us

Frank said...

Kind of interested if it´s only Tetris because I think that loads of other puzzle games will probably work just as well...

Apps Master said...

best game ever !

caretaker said...

tetris hh

Mark said...

Wow. That's a little strange. Guess I should keep a copy of Tetris handy from now on.

arnyke said...

i like your post! supportin!;)

Just do it said...

I love Tetris

Carlton Banks said...

thanks for the update

Kenneth Gibson said...

I never thought about it that way

Are you serious? said...

nice, thanks for sharing

Happy Daze said...

good post, can't wait for more

comradejoker.blogspot.com/ said...

Tetris totally engages the mind...I wouldn't be surprised if it got your minds off of things.

iRetiv said...

oh didn't know that...guess which game i'll play next lol

rainboo said...

haha awesome post, i love tetris:)

Wait what? said...

this is great!

Jessie MIAMI said...

Time to play Tetris I guess :P

Matte said...

Iteresting! Keep it up! :)

What is this? said...

wow, good info here

Do Not Want said...

interesting stuff, I'll check back tomorrow

Kris159 said...

Well that's something I wouldn't have thought about...

dee jey said...

thanx for information

PlanetBen said...

Forget the doctor, Im playing Tetris! lol

Come At Me Bro said...

I love tetris!

ModerneFusion said...

Never knew putting blocks together could be so calming xD

Longkid said...

lol sweet

Crammarc said...

good ol tetris, cures all

Dan said...

I used to play tetris all the time on the bus ride home from school. I wonder if it made me forget what I learned in class :o

James Johnson said...

That's really weird. What about the game has that effect?

ImmaFrog said...

incredible stuff

Unlogic said...

wow.. thats an awesome thing to know :D

Amberclad said...

tetris > all

vogelhut said...

That's pretty cool

iRetiv said...

tetris is fun

OC-STEVEN said...

sooo frkin addicting

Joebloggs said...

This is brilliant news, I play tetris all the freakin time!

Post a Comment