Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Logitech goes green with solar-powered keyboard


Logitech has decided to offer up a keyboard that is as green as they come. As well as using no PVC in its construction the K750 is wireless, but requires no batteries.

Logitech has bypassed the need for batteries by introducing two integrated solar panels at the top corners of the keyboard. If you think that means limited usage, or a requirement to type while sitting in the sun, think again. Logitech claim 3 months of usage in total darkness on a full charge.

Charging occurs in most lighting conditions, so you never need to sit in the sun to get a charge. Use the keyboard in a typical daylight situation, or at night under your room lights, and it will start charging itself. There’s also a Solar App you can download telling you how much charge is left and how much your current lighting situation is helping with a recharge.

Connectivity is through the Logitech Unifying receiver which allows six devices to connect through one USB port. The company has also taken into consideration you may want to slide the K750 into a laptop bag, so it’s only 1/3″ thick.

The Logitech store is currently showing the K750 as out of stock, but you can pre-order one for $79.99 with a 3-year warranty.

Mac’s Opinion

Consider me impressed. A wireless keyboard that has a three month charge and requires no batteries. That’s quite an achievement, and one that’s sure to be popular with people sick of changing batteries in their wireless setups. Keyboards don’t use nearly as much juice as a wireless mouse, but they usually use smaller batteries and therefore require buying two types, one set for keyboard and one for mouse.

I am someone who will put up with using a laptop keyboard, but who takes the opportunity to switch to a full-size set of keys whenever possible. A solar-powered solution means I can use an external keyboard without having to carry batteries around or have another wire plugged into my machine. This keyboard is also ultra-thin so sliding it into a bag won’t add a lot of weight or thickness.

We need some real-world testing done to prove Logitech’s claims on battery life. I suspect you could bring that usage down by at least a month for a heavy user.

28 comments:

iRetiv said...

thats useful...that is if you havea computer OUTSIDE.

Kikimora said...

Thats great, but I'm ok with usb keyboard xD

comradejoker.blogspot.com/ said...

I would get one, but how reliable can the charge and the solar panels be before it craps out.

CAE.II said...

My friend was actually telling me about this last night. I feel like it's impressive for the price for sure, but I dont know how soon it will catch on... Great post!!

MoneyNaoPlz said...

this keyboard looks badass man, I quite want one.

Kris159 said...

It does look cool, but it won't save the planet, I mean how much electricity does one keyboard consume?

Mr. Bloggity said...

Now thats a cool keyboard, if only we made more stuff that was like this :)

Thomasheen said...

Well how would my keyboard see the sun?

Jackie said...

This is Awesome, keep it up !

Gansita said...

I think I wouldn't buy it, I don't like sun at all, lol.

Erroneous Maximus said...

Hmm. Yeah gonna have to agree with Thomasheen.

About Insurance said...

that's pretty cool

amidoinitrite? said...

thanks for sharing!

Kikino said...

Ive never moved to inalambric because batteries are a pain. But im definetly gonna get one of these!!

Fuuuuuuuu said...

i wonder what the typing experience is like

pixel said...

this is exactly what i need!

marijuanaseedsgrow.com said...

Better technology like this needs to be invented more often. :)

Crammarc said...

well my computers usually not near sunlight so this wouldnt be for me

Robotface Palm said...

lol, there is no sun in my basement

kokojesta said...

nice... its just that i lurk in the dark

Swift Love said...

so it uses the lighting in the room to power up?

SC2 Strats said...

I saw this, looks awesome.

a2ensite said...

Great post, happy blogging!!

Ken said...

Nice! Interesting invention :P

JVS said...

this is a very good idea :)

Unlogic said...

I'm gonna buy this keyboard ! :D

ConnorJS said...

Shame my computer isn't by my window...

Dan said...

That is awesome! Too bad I don't like wireless keyboards for gaming :/

Post a Comment