Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Piracy makes PSP games not even worth making, says God of War PSP developer


Yesterday, early reviews started hitting the web for the holiday season’s AAA game for the Sony PlayStation Portable: the latest God of War title, Ghost of Sparta.

I was amazed to start seeing them, because frankly, I’d completely forgotten that developers were even still making games for the PSP… but here, out of the seeming blue, comes a well-reviewed God of War game being harped by some as better than God of War III. How strange.

Well, don’t be surprised if you don’t see any more PSP blockbusters after Ghost of Sparta hits stores on November 2nd, because the guys who made the game — Ready at Dawn — are openly slagging off the PSP as a terrible system to make games for.

Why? Piracy. According to Ready at Dawn’s Ru Weerasuriya, piracy on the PSP is so rampant “it’s getting to the point where it doesn’t make sense to make games on it.”

About the PSP, Weerasuriya says, “It’s a tough call right now to say what’s going to happen to it and where it’s going to go, but it definitely hurts a lot of developers out there who are trying to make great games.”

Presumably this is an issue Sony desperately wants to fix with their upcoming PlayStation Phone, but things have gotten bleak indeed when even the PSP’s most prestigious developers are ready to throw in the towel on the console.

35 comments:

hailtothemetal said...

Oh my god, I freaking love God of War :P played it on ps2 all the time

Touch and Feel said...

This is sad, indeed. I hate cheap assholes who don't pay for games.

I am all for file sharing, but for god's sake purchase the fucking game if you like it. I know kids who have allowances larger than starting salaries, and they pirate games.

Kikino said...

that sucks man. piracy is bad for global warning too

NeedlessToSay said...

Here I thought the PSP was jusy a portable internet browser / mp3 player.

Pro said...

Piracy will never stop, even if they find a way to block it now , some will will figure out how to do it on the ps phone, its kinda sad really.

comradejoker.blogspot.com/ said...

LOL piracy will rule over.

razortek said...

great game wtf!

sfw babes said...

its a shame :(

amidoinitrite? said...

he has a good point there... I like to pirate

DJ Name Brands said...

psp is becoming antiquated anyway with the soon release of the psp2

Rezden said...

I would think that hardcore gamers aren't picking up handheld consoles. The handleheld market seems to be more casual just by what it is. The only hardcore game I've played on handhelds are Pokemon games, and that's because it was started and thrives there. Interesting to see how this turns out.

mrmobilegamer said...

I doubt it had anything to do with piracy, when I had a PSP I hacked it, but I only did it for the homebrew games. Most consumers wouldn't know how to anyway, they just have to admit it's a dying system. It had much potential but no real support.

dzikrk said...

I had gow on my psp 1000 ;P

vogelhut said...

He's got a point, it is basically useless making games for the PSP. It's great for pirates though. :P

ModerneFusion said...

I am surprised the Music industry is doing so well even with Piracy, because really all they can earn money off of are die hard fans who buy the albums and concerts and endorsements, other than that they're just as broke

Zalecodone said...

PC all the way :)

Dbankai said...

It's too easy to hack :/ I buy games most of the time

tortacular said...

following good material.

Swift Love said...

I can agree with this... pirated FTW

Gansita said...

I wonder if they can pay all the people who makes an only game. I mean, credits of GTA4 was almost endless, and I wonder if all that people receive good money.

The Lazy Geographer said...

I don't have a PSP to pirate anything onto. If I pirated a pirate PSP could I pirate pirated pirate games?

MTL beer said...

The thing is they charge you SO much for portable games. I mean sometimes they go up to $60 for something handles/looks terrible and that lasts 5-6 hours at best. Doesn't really motivate people to pay for those games.

The Square Circle said...

this is a shame. i love my psp.

Dan said...

I'd like them to give it up. I just like my DS and it would be sweet if everyone had one. More friends to play with!

MacPCharmony said...

I haven't played the PSP for 3 years

SC2 Strats said...

Sucks, but he's right!

Longkid said...

I wonder if they might stop?

kokojesta said...

how to make games and stay a millionaire??

iRetiv said...

how discuraging

Ningen said...

make games, kill players

troykan said...

well buhu maybe they should fin another way then?

happybuffet said...

Hopefully things work out for the developers.

Fuuuuuuuu said...

They have a good point; however, there is still a market for those who buy games

Crammarc said...

they just need to get more creative with how to deliver games so that piracy is less appetizing

kokiloten said...

too bad :(

Post a Comment