Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nintendo: Piracy is not behind poor Wii and DS sales


More than any other console maker, Nintendo’s consoles are easy to pirate games for. While the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 require sophisticated hacks and mod chips in order to run unsigned code, getting pirated games to run on a Nintendo Wii is as easy as plugging in a modified SD card and a USB hard drive full of games, and the DS has long been plagued by affordable flash carts like the R4.

Consequently, Nintendo has always been touch on piracy, patching the software of their consoles as often as they can to thwart the latest hacks by pirates, as well as programming sophisticated anti-piracy DRM into their titles that allow games to be able to tell whether or not it is running off of a flash cart. They also sue the bejeezus out of anyone they do catch pirating… or selling hardware to aid in pirating.

You’d think, then, that given the recent slump of the Wii when it comes to console and software sales, Nintendo would be quick to point the fingers at pirates. But that’s not what Nintendo president Satoru Iwata had to say for himself at a recent Q&A session.

“I do not think we should attribute bad software sales solely to piracy”, he said, “It is true there is always the influence of piracy, but it is important for us to increase the number of our consumers who are willing to shell out their money to purchase our products. So, we do not intend to think that slower sales are solely due to piracy.”

That’s refreshingly blunt: the Wii’s slow sales are due to a lack of captivating content, and the DS is reaching the end of its life cycle. Somehow, I doubt that after next year’s debut of the 3DS that anyone will be complaining about slow Nintendo sales anymore, anyway.

41 comments:

DDRMidgetID said...

the 3ds will be near impossible to pirate for quite some time...

Fuuuuuuuu said...

it's just that the Wii isn't as serious as a console as the others

Satan said...

At least they're honest. Good for them.

Swift Love said...

I still like the Wii... just picked up NBA Jam

amidoinitrite? said...

The Wii is a party console... it's tough to really get into the Wii games

I Rate Shit said...

Finally, someone with a brain!

MacPCharmony said...

i still like my Wii (mine's hacked)

The Square Circle said...

Yea. The 3ds will give them a serious boost, being so expensive... but in all seriousness, the ocarina of time remake will likely be the bestseller in the hand held isle for months to come.

Slumph said...

I think they just need some refreshing games and to market themselves more than just at old people and children.

thecatzpajamas said...

we all dont want to spend money thats why

Ishu said...

I concur with you in the last sentence!

kokojesta said...

im not techy enough to know how to pirate...so i just buy the games..... am i oldskool?

cupcakelady said...

Wii needs to work on their graphics, it's a great idea, just needs some work

Emelie said...

I doubt that the 3ds will be that great of a success, since the 3D actually sucks.

Longkid said...

It's so easy to pirate games from nintendo.

The 360 however takes work. Lots of work.

Mesty said...

The games are pretty, I want to get one soon!
Mesty =)

arnyke said...

I like your post and I would really like to see more of them

lovebloggin said...

thats interesting, i agree with him though

Max Steel said...

I just hope they dont turn to optical media for their handhelds

James said...

If they wouldn't charge up the butt for these things people wouldn't be pirating. I remember when PS1 games were like $20 bucks new.

Fuuuuuuuu said...

I thought more about this, and the Wii is usually for the casual gamer who really doesn't buy many games

btw, I have a new post on GTL Everyday :)

Kevorkian said...

The Wii sucks, that's why it doesn't sell

NeedlessToSay said...

Good on Nintendo for not blaming the easy scapegoat.

Jackie said...

This is awesome, keep it up!

Will said...

Wii stuff doesnt sell well because average gamers dont want to play games made for families

Ratch said...

interesting post!
and omg is that jackie chan? ^^^^^^

Tweek said...

Great post! Following you.

amidoinitrite? said...

I still love my Wii

btw, check out my new bubbles on Enhanced by MS Paint :)

comradejoker.blogspot.com/ said...

Nintendo will never win against piracy!

Joebloggs said...

This is what makes nintendo so cool, i have a post on my page about them i made it today coincidently, you should chek it

Freshman said...

nice post, supportin!

Donkote said...

this makes me recondsider getting a wii if I can get games for free >:D

Come At Me Bro said...

Sweet!

Primarch Solyeuse said...

That's remarkably mature of them. Good on ya, Nintendo.

Unlogic said...

I'm thinking of buying DS this month.. cool thing :)

Savage Nugget said...

I've been gathering together games on a USB drive for my girlfriend for over a week now. :D

Banks said...

eds is gonna suck i just want a crisp display

Slumph said...

It really isnt.

I would appreciate your input on my Razer Lycosa review if you haven't commented already =D

Please check out my Best of: Daft Punk too if you haven't yet please. This is part of a new best of series I'm starting, so any input is appreciated! <3 Thanks in advance!

Kash said...

I hear the 360 is actually quite easy to hack itself.

spunchops said...

I own neither. That's why there's a slump.

Dan said...

My sister bought one of these... I always buy legit though, I'm a fanboy :o

Post a Comment