Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fallout: New Vegas: Are you playing it?


Fallout: New Vegas came out today, which means you can be playing it right now instead of reading this article. And, unless you are a very talented multitasker, you aren’t playing it… but will you?

New Vegas doesn’t seem to have anything close to the hype of Fallout 3, which came out just around the time of two other major releases–Fable 2 and Far Cry 2–but managed to do quite well. The lack of mass excitement over FNV’s release shouldn’t be a huge surprise–we waited ten years for Fallout 3, but less then two for this. It’s also (basically) running on the same engine that powered Fallout 3 and Oblivion so no one is expecting any graphic magic.

To be fair, this week’s release isn’t Fallout 4 and it’s not a sequel to Fallout 3, rather it’s like Fallout 3.3. That is to say that it looks just like Fallout 3 but makes a number of minor of improvements on it. If nothing else, it’s lots more content for fans who got a ton of play time out of 3 and are ready to explore a explore a different part of the same world.

So far reviews have been good, but not great. Metacritic has it pegged at a respectable 85, and early reviews from individual outlets are strong but generally not glowing. CVG put it at 8.1 while Giant Bomb rated it 4/5. The Guardian gave it a 5/5, reminding us that some people still really like the first-person Fallout formula. On the downside Giant Bomb’s review noted some significant errors with the game’s coding which is disappointing from any release, let alone this one.

I’ve put a few hours into the game on the Xbox 360 and a few minutes on PC and so far I like it. It’s like seeing an old friend. I put a ton of time into Fallout 3 and the DLC, and New Vegas feels just like those. Sure, I’m a new character and now I have recipes I can use with campfires, but so far it’s just more Fallout. But guess what–that’s OK with me.

I’m sure the similarities between F3 and FNV will bother a lot of people, but upside is that the new game is all about the dialogue and the story, both of which seem improved from the last release.

What about you, dear reader? Planning on playing Fallout: New Vegas this week? Going to focus on Civ V or Medal of Honor and catch up with this one down the road? Tired of Fallout 3 and just waiting until a real sequel with a new engine comes along? I’m dying to know…

49 comments:

Shabondama said...

I must play Fallout: New Vegas, I loved it Fallout 3 =)

razortek said...

well rlly no and i'm not minding bout that xD

Dbankai said...

i must play it! Fallout 3 was epic

vogelhut said...

No I am not.

happybuffet said...

MUST GET! NAO.

thecatzpajamas said...

ive heard alot of good stuff bout it but dont have money ot buy it

Savage Nugget said...

More Fallout is not a let down. :D

NeedlessToSay said...

I'm really looking forward to getting this.

Pro said...

havn't got a change to play get but I hear great things about it.

Randy Weezner said...

I got it, and im ready to review it

amidoinitrite? said...

I must check this out

Nie Mand said...

Sadly I have no chance to play New Vegas, but it sounds so good :(

Dan said...

I suppose I should play FO3 before starting New Vegas...

Banks said...

i cannt afford

Phidern said...

Im so close to saving up enough for this game!!!

Mr. McKraken said...

Fallout is an amazing franchise and I look forward to picking up this installment.

Nyuu said...

just started today :D

mrmobilegamer said...

I can't play this game, I lost countless hours playing fallout 3, I can't let that happen again...at least not yet

iRetiv said...

Sequal and better DLC.

Crammarc said...

must play

ImmaFrog said...

I actually am playing it right now!!

SC2 Strats said...

haven't gotten the chance, but looks awesome!

kokiloten said...

I wont play it

Secret Guide to Shaving said...

I made the video. I was tired of all the complicated ones on youtube and just threw it together.

The Square Circle said...

not playing it... at the moment. will eventually get it.

Swift Love said...

I might not play this

MacPCharmony said...

I'll play this

Gansita said...

Nope, I don't have time to play videogames 'til next month =(

hippilazma said...

i have a plan to play it but , first i need a pc

Weirdwhirl said...

I dont know yet, whats the playtime?

nubilus said...

Yeah I'm playing this! So far I am enjoying it just as I did Fallout 3. It feels different thats for sure....its even a bit harder than I last remembered Fallout 3 to be. But I can sort of tell already that I am going to be in for some surprises later on. I like how theyve added some more hardcore rpg elements to the game...plants, better weapon customization ect...anyway gotta make sure i give myself some breaks to get some work done :)

kokojesta said...

sweet im well keen for it :)

Longkid said...

Its in my gamefly.

Kikino said...

not yet..damn I need to get this!

Donkote said...

unfortunately i'm not playing it...but i know a lot of my friends are

dzikrk said...

I played once

Freshman said...

sounds great! wont play it

Max Steel said...

I would if I had more monies

Max Steel said...

mostly just places I drive past or hike by and a couple have been just spots people told me about Ive tired using google maps to seek out new spots but it just doesnt zoom close enough for me to make anything out

HondaX said...

good games..new vegas is ok...

The Illest said...

Looks sooo good!

Astra said...

no, i playing Civ V. But im glad you like your new game :)

Chris said...

f**k yeah muther f****r!!!!!!!!!

comradejoker.blogspot.com/ said...

awww shiet now I have to try this out!

ImmaFrog said...

Still playing... the game!

Hunter said...

I've never played any of the fall out games, maybe I should give it ago. Much love.

njohnfixes said...

I usually wait to see if the games live up to their hype before I buy. Sometimes actually, not usually. Left 4 Dead I bought immediately. But I like zombies.

Touch and Feel said...

I want this game so badly, I would kill to get it. KILL.

Dooberry said...

I wanted to play that... it looked ok

Post a Comment