Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

AlphaUI’s Back-Key is a keyboard for the back of your 7-inch tablet


Tablets are undeniably the new hotness, but no matter how hot the product, some debates don’t die. The debate in question: whether a soft keyboard as on a tablet touchscreen can ever be a proper tactile replacement for the oomph of a physical keyboard. Physical keys is a big reason why Blackberries and Android phones still sell… so it’s only natural that the same people who just need something physical to type on when it comes to the smartphone form factor would feel just the same way when it comes to a tablet.

Enter French Company AlphaUI with their Back-Type, a device designed to connect to the back side of a tablet. It contains 24 separate keys, which can be customized. According to AlphaUI, they’re confident that people can get so good entering text with these that they’ll be rattling out 250 characters per minute in now time.

We’ll take your word for it, AlphaUI, but none the less, we’re a little perplexed. How do you type with two less keys than there are letters in the Roman alphabet? And considering the fact that the Back-Type will only fit onto the back of a tablet measuring between five and seven inches, AlphaUI really seems to be betting that the form factor of 7-inch tablets like the Galaxy Tab will ultimately trump the 10-inchers like the iPad. That’s a pretty ballsy bet right there.

No price or release date, unfortunately, but word has it that the Back-Type will make a show at next year’s CES.

29 comments:

Regh said...

To be honest...I don't see how this would even work. To my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) you either flip it over and type or you type without looking at it...I don't see how the second one could work out...

I think I will just stick to my soft keyboard LOL

lol reviewer said...

it's a very useful device

Pro said...

I think it has more novelty value than anything.

Edward said...

Sounds like it'll just make the corresponding tablet clunky and annoying. Skeptical.

vibe said...

supporting.

razortek said...

:O i want it

Felshy said...

seems reasonable

aGas said...

a keyboard on the back? that would be great.

swizzfor said...

i agree with @regh

SC2 Strats said...

sounds difficult. hmm..

Banks said...

i want a tablet :((( being broke sucks

Joebloggs said...

I think this will be the reform of the modern day touch keyboards

Hunter said...

Not sure how this is gonna work, much love.

Blogster said...

hm interesting

Nie Mand said...

I don't think that this is really usable.

Blogster said...

thank you for visiting my blogs!

thecatzpajamas said...

why on the back fml

amidoinitrite? said...

interesting, I like this... keep up the good work

dirtfarmer said...

this makes no sense to me. 24 keys? there are 26 letters. and it goes on the back?

The Lazy Geographer said...

I just leave my serious typing to when I have a keyboard in front of me.

Hemera said...

Interesting and useful device.

Swift Love said...

now that's interesting

NeedlessToSay said...

>Tablets are undeniably the new hotness

Eh.... they just seem dorky to me.

Randy Weezner said...

it will flop

Home Alone Stoned said...

great info as usual. btw, thanks for supporting me to 300 followers

Home Alone Stoned said...

great info as always. btw, thanks for supporting me to 300 followers

kokojesta said...

hhmm yeah ok, id give it a go, but the prcie will probably turn me off it im guessing

kokiloten said...

i couldnt handle it

VanStino said...

I don't think this is something for me :)

Post a Comment